Husband to my favourite human Michelle, proud papa to little Quinn, and licensed wedding officiant in Ontario (and most of the US).
I love meeting couples in love, have a mild obsession with amazing coffee, always have a smile on my face, quote Arrested Development and Superbad maybe a bit too often (is that possible?), and enjoy working out (sometimes only to justify eating Pop Tarts immediately after).
Before I was licensed in 2015, Michelle and I had planned or coordinated nearly 100 weddings in Southern Ontario, and found one commonality - the ceremony was more often than not the least exciting part of the day.
Maybe you’ve been to one of those weddings. A truly uninspiring ceremony, performed by someone who looked like they’d rather be anywhere else but at that wedding. It wasn’t the couples fault, there just weren’t a lot of options, and only a handful of officiants actually delivered something great.
I decided then that the biggest impact I could have for a couple was to not only make the process of ceremony creation fun, but promise them that their ceremony would be the most memorable part of their day.
Bold claim, right?
I wanted to challenge every other officiant to step up and be better, and to encourage couples to expect more from their ceremony.
Afterall, it IS the most important part of your day (despite fun Uncle Gary's insistance that the open bar is).
My approach to officiating is easy: create space for something amazing to happen (I mean, you're marrying your best friend, that's something worth celebrating!). I’ve taken the rigidity and formality out of ceremonies, the fluff, the extra words no one cares about, the boringness we've become accustomed to and injected new life into ceremonies.
My job is to create a special moment for you to get married - a moment that I promise is not only seen, but felt by you and your guests. If it means laughing, we're going to laugh. If it means clapping and cheering, let's get excited and cheer! If it means crying, let's allow ourselves the freedom to have a good cry.
Because that is what this is all about.
I’m heavily invested in you enjoying a long and healthy marriage, and I want you to have every advantage heading into it. It’s why I've spent time and resources to become a certified Marriage Coach, using exclusively the SYMBIS Assessment (more info here)
Because Marriages Matter, and I want yours to be great.
I don't like hidden fees or costs. Take a look below for what's included (spoiler alert: it's everything and more - unless you need me to fly to Fijiji, Santorini or Boracay for your ceremony, I may charge a small travel fee).
I hope you'll find the answer to every question you have, and maybe even answers to someof the questions you didn't even know you had! If I've missed anything, please feel free to shoot me an email!
Oh! And be sure to read about the 360 Video and wireless Bose speaker/wireless Sennheisser AVX Mic, too! I think you'll like that part. And you'll definitely like that both are included at no extra cost to you.
One easy way to know if we might be the right fit to celebrate alongside you both is to see what others have said about including us in their day. It’s a pretty cool thing when a couple has had such a great experience working with that they feel compelled to tell others about us through a testimonial - we can’t thank them enough and we love them for their support. You’ve probably read their reviews scattered throughout our website, but if you want to read them in their entirety, you can head on over here.
If you haven’t seen a 360 video, here’s what you need to know - they’re awesome. I’ll give you a 360 video of your entire ceremony for free, so you can share it with friends or family or for those late nights when you both want to relive the moment you said “I do” over a glass of wine. Hired a videographer? That’s a GREAT idea - I’ll make sure to let them take the lead.
As long as you're over 18+, human, not already married to someone else, not related and WANT to get married, you can get married in the Province of Ontario (sweet!). Once you grab your marriage license (don't worry, I'll walk you through every step), I’ll handle the legal side of registering your marriage, and will help you get your Marriage Certificate after your ceremony (in case you want to make any legal changes).
I want to make sure every aspect of your ceremony is covered, and that includes sound. I use a Bose wireless speaker and a Sennheiser AVX 835 wireless mic for ceremonies. If neither of those company names ring a bell, don't worry. All you need to know is they produce incredible sound quality, which means your guests (even the late arrivals sitting at the very back) will hear your vows and every word clearly.
It’s an entirely wireless set up, so no need for hydro, loud generators or bright orange extension cords. The best part? There’s no extra charge to use this system. Hired a DJ for your ceremony? Perfect! I can let them take the lead for sound!
I really don’t love hidden fees or travel costs, so travel is included for all local weddings:
Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, Guelph, Elora, Stratford, Woodstock, and Paris (Ontario - in case you weren’t sure).
For weddings in the GTA, Niagara Region, Muskoka, London, Bora Bora or The Maldives, there is a small travel fee. I don't make money on travel, but it does cover me getting to your venue.
GTA, Niagara Region, Muskoka, London: $25/hour travel from my office in Kitchener, ON using Google Maps
Bora Bora or The Maldives? Slightly more. Shoot me an email and we'll chat.
If you’ve followed us on Instagram or Facebook, you might know I have an obsession for great coffee (and owned a small coffee business years ago, but that’s a story for a different time). I like to meet couples in a few select coffee shops in KW that serve up amazingness in a cup. If you live out of town or can’t make it in to KW, we’ll hop on a FaceTime, Duo or Messenger video call. I like to meet 2-3 times before your big day to make sure we’ve shared enough time for everything to be just right.
Are rehearsals mandatory? Nah, and honestly, you won't need one.
Here are 5 few reasons why I don't think you need one:
1. Planning them can be stressful. Coordinating your wedding party, their dates, your parents, the flower girl and ring bearers can be stressful. And the night before your wedding?! Wouldn't you rather be relaxing?
2. I am extremely thorough. I will have you fully prepared through our meetings, and we will walk through the ceremony in detail so you'll know exactly what to expect.
3. I take the lead for your ceremony. There's no guesswork involved. As long as you show up the day of and follow my lead, I'll make sure it's perfect.
4. It will save you a lot of money. Rehearsals are expensive! If you're feeding your friends and family, that's another FULL dinner (and drinks?) for your entire wedding party, their dates, your parents and whoever else is there. Use the money you save for your honeymoon!
5. Your friends will thank you. Being in a wedding party is a big commitment, both time wise, and financially. If your wedding party is from out of town, or your rehearsal is on a weekday, it can be hard to ask them to take more time off to attend. They'll love just showing up on your wedding day, stress-free, looking great, and knowing I have all the details covered.
Did I just save you money before you even hired me? You're welcome!
A 50% deposit (by credit card, processed using Square, or e-transfer) and a completed Booking Form secures your date. If you’d rather pay the total up front, that’s great! If not, the remainder is due 2 weeks prior. If you’d rather pay in instalments, that works for me too, it’s all tracked in your online portal. Unfortunately, I’m not able to hold dates, so when you have your date locked in, drop me a line and let’s chat!
When someone tells me they want a short ceremony, I think what they're actually saying is: "we've been to a lot of long, boring ceremonies. I don't want that." Good news is: that's not me. The ceremony will be as long or as short as it needs to be.
No more, no less.
Have you ever watched a movie that was 3 hours long that blew your mind? Maybe you've also seen a movie that was half that length but was equally incredible. How is that possible? Don't get caught up on length, because the right person can deliver something truly memorable that you will love, minus all the fluff and extra words.
But if you must know a number, the average length is typically between 15-22 minutes.
I'm a storyteller and 33 years in, I like to think I'm pretty good at it by now, but I'll let you be the judge. We'd work together to create something truly great and I will present it in a way that will be both memorable and engaging (because guests snoozing through the ceremony is the worst, isn't it?!).
This is a great question.
Here are 5 of the most common traits of a couple that asks me to help them get married:
1. They're truly excited to be married (and not just excited for a wedding-themed party). They can't wait to start the next chapter in their lives as a married couple because they're so in love with each other.
2. The ceremony is one of the most important aspects of their day, and they want to be involved in making it great.
3. They want to get to know the person who is going to be standing up there with them on one of the most important days of their lives (and they want that person to get to know them, too).
4. They want to feel relaxed during the ceremony, and want the freedom to laugh, or cry, or stumble over their vows without feeling silly.
5. They're looking for something without the rigidity of perfection. Something perfectly imperfect, just like their relationship.
So, what are the next steps to book?
Take a look below and decide which package best suits you. Then hit that Get In Touch button below, and we'll find a time to meet up and chat all about your big day.
This package includes everything listed above:
-An awesome ceremony that I know you and your guests will love
-Travel (unless outside of defined area)
-The 360 ceremony video
-My amazing PA system for perfect sound, an entirely wireless setup
-All the legals
-Peace of mind knowing you're working with someone fully invested in your day being perfect, and someone who has proven to consistently deliver a great ceremony, and amazing service (be sure to check out our reviews)
This is right package for you if:
a) You have a friend performing your ceremony who isn't licensed
b) You're getting married in Cuba, Mexico, Jamaica, Bali or Bahamas but need the legals signed in Ontario
c) You don't want a ceremony, you just want to be married
1. You pick up your Marriage License from any Marriage Office in Ontario (not to worry, it's very easy)
2. We find a time to meet, along with your 2 witnesses (friend, brother, sister, stranger - it's all good), to sign the license and fulfill the legal requirements
3. I sign and send off your paperwork to be registered by the Office of the Registrar General
4. I'll make sure you know how to get your Marriage Certificate once it's been registered
For crazy in love couples who want to get married in a seriously beautiful place around Southern Ontario.
-A helicopter ride to and from the (amazing) ceremony location
-One of the following (insanely talented) photographers (based on their availability): Taylor Jackson, Lindsay Coulter
-An elopement ceremony, including all the legals performed by Jeff Maeck
-An amazing location with a breathtaking view
-360 Ceremony video to relive the entire ceremony
-Bragging rights for the rest of your life
Have questions or want more info? Let's talk!